Sunday 24 February 2013

TENNIS: Erakovic Claims Maiden Title

Marina Erakovic won the first WTA title of her career after injury forced Sabine Lisicki to withdraw while a set down in the final of the US National Indoor Tennis Championships.



Erakovic's victory in Memphis also marked the first time a New Zealander had won a WTA event since 1989.

The 24-year-old comfortably took the first set 6-1 and then found herself celebrating victory as third seed Lisicki decided she could not continue.

Although she was pleased to capture her maiden title, Erakovic did express some regret that she was not able to win the match in a conventional manner.

"This is my first title and unfortunately it did go like this. But Sabine congratulations - I hope we really do play a lot more finals in the future," she said.

Lisicki added on the WTA Tour's official website: "It's very unfortunate I wasn't able to finish the match.

"I put all the energy I had left in my body into the match, but I just couldn't keep going. I had been sick the last three days already. But Marina had a great tournament and I want to congratulate her for her first WTA title."

No comments:

Post a Comment